The origin of the Osaka University of Pharmaceutical Sciences dates back to the foundation of the Osaka Doshu School of Pharmacy in 1904, which was a men’s night school with a two-year term of study. Soon after its opening, the women’s unit was established. In 1920, when the school was relocated to a new building in Abeno, the Women’s Department of Pharmacy was established. In 1925, the Women’s Department became the first women’s college of pharmacy in Japan, which played a leading role in pharmaceutical education for women. In response to post-war education reform, Osaka University of Pharmaceutical Sciences was newly established in 1950, and has continued to the present day.
Origin, development and maturity
Establishment of a school of pharmacy in Dosho-machi in Osaka
Lecturers and staff members of Osaka Doshu School of Pharmacy
Osaka Doshu School of Pharmacy, the origin of the Osaka University of Pharmaceutical Sciences, was founded on May 9, 1904 in Dosho-machi, a part of the area called Semba in Osaka, which thrived on trade. Crude drugs (drug ingredients) have been traded in Dosho-machi since the Edo period (1603-1868) and, at present, it is home to a number of major Japanese pharmaceutical companies. In 1925, the Doshu Women's College of Pharmacy was established, which was later renamed as Teikoku Women's College of Pharmacy. This was the first women’s college of pharmacy in Japan, a development that was considered quite innovative back in those days.
Establishment and steady development of the Osaka University of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School building in Abeno and the first graduation ceremony of the Women's Department of Pharmacy
The school was co-educational since its establishment and later, in response to post-war education reform, it was upgraded to become the Osaka University of Pharmaceutical Sciences. Maintaining its sound academic tradition, the university kept growing steadily and, in 1968, the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences was added, offering two departments for students to choose from. In 1975, the Pharmaceutical Research Master’s Program (MS) was opened and, in 1984, the Pharmaceutical Research Doctorate Program (PhD) was opened. In 1996, the entire institution was moved to its present campus location, significantly improving its educational and research environment. In 1999, as part of its efforts to improve practical training, the University-attached pharmacy was opened, earlier than that of any other pharmaceutical college in Japan.
Development into a leading university of pharmaceutical sciences in Japan
The 50th anniversary ceremony and completion ceremony of the university
In response to the extension of the required number of years for a student to complete the course of pharmaceutical studies to become a pharmacist, which became effective in 2006 under the School Education Act, the university has now two departments : the Department of Pharmacy, offering a 6-year course, and the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, offering a 4-year course. The Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences started offering the Pharmaceutical Sciences Master’s Program in April 2010. In April 2012, the Pharmacy Doctorate Program (4-year course) and the Pharmaceutical Sciences Doctorate Program (2-year first-term program, 3-year second-term program) were introduced. In 2013, the Training Course for Cancer Specialist Pharmacists was included in the Pharmacy Doctorate Program. Through these efforts, we are developing into a leading university of pharmaceutical sciences in Japan.
Permit for the establishment of Osaka Doshu School of Pharmacy
First Director: Matsuji Hirayama (Graduated from Pharmaceutical Department of Tokyo Imperial University) First Principal : Taro Oshima (Graduated from Pharmaceutical Department of Tokyo Imperial University) School Administrator : Takuji Akiyama
Monument at the original site (built in commemoration of the centennial anniversary)